A two mile runway and forty nine acres of hard standing, which is said can be seen by orbiting astronauts, presented no problem of identification in the brilliant sunny weather to Alan Harris and Diana in G-AZCU, who were the first to arrive. They were soon followed by a contingent from Bagby with three Pups and a Cessna. Geoff Taylor and Helen in Bulldog XX538 completed the Club’s presence.
After Alan had given a quick debrief, the group took a leisurely stroll to the museum. With discounted fees paid, they entered the time zone of a World War II bomber station. The first stop was at the restaurant for light refreshment, after which the group split up to wonder around the exhibits.
The centre piece of the museum was the fully refurbished control tower, as it was, at the height of operations. Around the tower were the various buildings, each exhibiting a theme associated with flying. The aircraft on display ranged from the Handley-Page Victor K2 XL231 ‘Lusty Lindy’, to the replicas of Cayley Glider and the 1903 Wright Flyer. Also housed in the T2 hanger were several restoration projects, the largest being a Halifax LV907 and De Havilland Mosquito HJ711.
The museum was compact, which saw individuals passing one another several times on their rounds. Eventually they congregated for the statutory regulation group photo for Beagle News.
The museum is well worth a repeat visit; to view and to reflect on its other function – a memorial to those who served and lost their lives.